THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Hello, everyone. This blog has moved to JOHNVOELZ.COM!


Monday, April 21, 2008

Wine and Dine


Last night Tahni threw me one of the best parties ever. For my 40th celebration, we invited a few of our closest friends to Lantern Waste for a blind wine tasting in the basement—or, man-cave as we sometimes call it.

The food was incredible. My wife rules. Seriously. Homemade chocolate truffles, Swiss loaf, fresh French baguette with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, apricot Brie bake, chocolate fudge cake . . .

Everyone brought a bottle of wine valued at $15.00 minimum with no limit on the high end. We bagged the bottles in brown paper bags with numbers on them. After a short and eloquent explanation of how to “rate” a wine by my hot sexy cougar wife, we tasted the wines rating them by color, nose, finish, body, balance, and taste.

At the end of the evening, after everyone made his or her own notes, we did the big reveal. My number one pick and the wine I must have again is . . .

Drum roll please . . .

Schild Estate Long Flat Barossa Shiraz 2004 Australia, Schild Estate Average retail price $24.99

After falling in love with this wine, I did some research and found it has a great customer rating across the board, usually scoring somewhere in the high 90’s.

The color is very dark and purple with a hint of vanilla, plum, cherry, and spices. It is incredibly smooth and reminded me of liquid candy without being overbearingly sweet. Great balance. Long finish.

My wife took great pictures and posted some more info at her blog. Check it out!

3 comments:

Tim M said...

Wine is so awesome. The past couple years I've started to appreciate the flavor experience it is.

I am totally going to steal this idea of a "wine tasting" party for the next shindig I plan. Well, unless the next shindig is Rachel's 2nd B-day. Next next shindig.

The pictures on Tahni's site were pretty sweet, man that cheese and grapes look GOOD.

Happy Birthday

danp said...

JVo, let me tell you... your wife rocks! What a beautiful setting and labor of love! I'm glad you had a great time.

on another note... thanks for keeping your thoughts on the web. I look forward to reading your posts and wish I had the time to read them all and ponder them as most are very provocative. I'm hoping your 40 turning from post 30 is not only better but prosperous, kind, effective and revealing. blessings to both you and Tahni.

John said...

@tim m--do it. do it.

@danp--thanks for the encouragement, man. "i learned it by watching you okay. i learned it by watching you."