THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Hello, everyone. This blog has moved to JOHNVOELZ.COM!


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Novelties and Curiosities


I have a few albums in my collection that I never listen to unless (any one choice or combination of choices from the following list options):

a. Company comes over and we get talking about the album
b. We are on the topic of novelty recordings
c. The album is like a car wreck you can’t look away from it
d. I need a good smile
e. The album reminds me of something and I am going down memory lane
f. I bought the album because I was very curious and it draws me back
g. The album was a gift and I feel guilty


An example of one such album would be “Pat Boone in a Metal Mood—No More Mr. Nice Guy” where Pat Boone does big band covers of AC/DC, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Nazareth, Hendricks, Metallica, Dio, Guns N’ Roses and Alice Cooper. They are a lot of fun. Just not steady-diet fare.

In Mr. Boone’s case, a,b, and d usually apply.

In August, I will have another album to add to my collection that will probably fit in this category. Curiosity is motivating me and I am kinda excited.


The album entitled, “Meet Glen Campbell” will include a number of covers including songs by . . . are you ready? . . .

Foo Fighters
U2
Tom Petty
Velvet Underground
The Replacements
Green Day

Three bands on this list meet my “all time greats” criteria.

Now, Glen is amazing really. Even if you don’t like country you have to respect the Rhinestone Cowboy. He has paid his dues. He’s legit.

In the 60’s Glen was an in-demand studio musician. He played on a number of tracks for Ricky Nelson, Merle Haggard, Elvis, The Monkees, and The Mamas & the Papas to name a few. He is the guitar player on “Strangers in the Night” by Old Blue Eyes and The Righteous Brothers’ classic hit (which gained a whole new popularity thanks to Top Gun) “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling.”

Glen was a touring member of The Beach Boys for years and played all over the Pet Sounds album (which everyone should own). Quite the man on the axe.

Between ’67 and ’78 the dude put over 20 songs on the Billboard Pop Chart.

In recent years, Glen has done a lot of concerts and weekly shows in Branson. He has been very outspoken about his faith in Jesus over the years and has the critics watching him like a hawk and reporting his every failure.

A few years back, Glen had a bad day and drowned his sorrows in a bottle causing him to hit another vehicle and get some butt ugly mug shots all over the TV news and internet. Unfortunately, it seems that mistake still taints Glen.

My grandma (who lives with Jesus now) was a big Glen Campbell fan. She had some 8-tracks when I was a kid that I used to listen to.

I know the words to Rhinestone Cowboy.

I am very curious. Glen, do the Foo proud. Make Bono happy. Rock the Petty. Bring it. These are all my boys.

Check this old vid out of Glen singing with Cher. I want that jacket. Seriously. Glen was a stud back in the day.

Album due out August 19th.


0 comments: