THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Hello, everyone. This blog has moved to JOHNVOELZ.COM!


Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm up This Weekend


I'm speaking this weekend at The Winds.

We are going to talk about forgiveness. Of others.

Not gonna lie . . . this is a tough one. Forgiveness is that place we get to where we give up the right to punch people in the neck who have wronged us.

C.S. Lewis said, “I said . . . that chastity was the most unpopular of the Christian virtues. But I am not sure I was right. I believe the one I have to talk of today is even more unpopular: The Christian rule, ‘Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.’ Because in Christian morals “thy neighbor” includes “thy enemy,” and so we come up against this terrible duty of forgiving our enemies. Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea, until they have something to forgive.”

But, honestly, as hard as it is, if we don't learn how to forgive we run the risk of becoming ugly people. Not only inside--but outside as well. I believe that bitterness and anger which are the results of an unforgiving disposition actually change the shape of our face.

Those old people who walk around the store mumbling under their breath and looking like they have been sucking on lemons . . . need to forgive someone.

If you want to hear my last message out of Malachi from a few weeks back go here.

blog comments powered by Disqus