THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Hello, everyone. This blog has moved to JOHNVOELZ.COM!


Wednesday, January 21, 2009

There is hope. Things suck.


As a Christian, and as a pastor, I often feel conflicted.

I believe in Jesus. He is the hope of the world. All is not lost. Good things are yet to come. Peace is something we can all experience now. Today.

And, at the same time, the world sucks. People hurt each other. The wicked prosper. People die because of our apathy. It is a real tension. It isn’t going away.

Often times, Westwinds will be criticized by people within the church for being “harsh” or “saying offensive things.” “Oh, did you have to say it that way?” And, it’s a tension we live with. The world likes it’s Jesus looking like a Chippendales dancer, knocking on doors with a smile, and holding little lambs. Tony Robbins Jesus. No one wants to see the Chuck Norris Jesus kicking tail.

But, He’s both. He’s a loving and gentle friend and he’s a demanding judge. He makes no apologies for that and we shouldn’t either.

Both are true. There is hope. And things suck.

What I don’t want to do is be paralyzed by either truth. Both of those truths should motivate me to do something.

I don't want to live in shiny-happy Jesus land and pretend everything is okay while I sit on my arse. And, I don't want to walk around with my head hung low crying in my scotch because all is lost.

Lord, move me.

blog comments powered by Disqus