THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Hello, everyone. This blog has moved to JOHNVOELZ.COM!


Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Religiopatriotism


My son-in-law is in the U.S. Navy. I am very proud of him. Both of my grandfathers fought for our country—my dad’s dad (a full-blooded German) fought in WWII as well as my mom’s dad (who had half of his head blown off at Pearl Harbor). I have traveled throughout Europe playing music for American military youth for the past 15 years. I have a love and respect for the military.

However, if I get one more elitist separatist exclusive email that somehow tries to marry Christianity and American patriotism I might consider a move to Canada. This is one I got the other day. I will spare us all the pictures that went with it.

And I quote . . .

How ALL phones SHOULD be answered!
“Good morning, welcome to the United States of America.”

Press
'1' for English.
Press
'2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English
And remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,

Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

One died for your soul,
The other for your freedom.
If you agree, keep it going.


There are so many things that are offensive in this email (and many quite like it). Something needs to be said. Before you peruse one of these emails and it tickles your patriotic fancy before actually thinking it through, please don’t keep this crap going. Send it to the trash. Then, empty your deleted files. And, please don’t send them to me anymore.

Here’s the familiar Emma Lazarus quote that appears on a plaque at the base of the Statue of Liberty:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me: I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Furthermore, if you want to talk theology, Jesus died for more than my “soul.” Atonement goes far deeper and wider than where I will spend eternity.

Here’s a quote from Him:

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

Do Jesus and your country a favor. Hit delete.

blog comments powered by Disqus